Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Bad Mommy Day..

Kieran had his 4 year check-up at the pediatrician's office today. He doesn't like visiting the doctor's office, I knew that and that's why I didn't even mention it until this morning. Of course, I played it up about how fun it would be, he could get a sticker etc. Then he says what I was expecting him to say, "Do I have to get a shot?" I knew the question was coming and I was hesitant to tell him no because I wasn't 100% sure that he wasn't getting a shot but I knew his vaccinations were up to date etc. So, I replied, "No, you don't have to get a shot today." Let's remember that I'm not a doctor and should choose my words wisely!

Of course, we get to the doctor's office and he whined, fussed and threw a fit when the nurse asked him to step on the scale, have his height checked etc. Mommy's blood was pumping at this point! The doctor comes in and we discuss the usual stuff and after the examination is done--which was another whiny, fit throwing fiasco--we discuss the vaccination list. I guess our doctor goes ahead and gives the Kindergarten vaccines at this age--at which my heart dropped to my stomach when I heard that news! Also, Kieran needed an influenza B vaccine because they were running short last time we were in--a year ago. So, I quietly ask the doctor how many shots were talking here and he holds up 4 fingers. Gasp!! My mommy of the year award just went down the toilet!!

We could have waited on the shots, came back in a few months and did the whole "my son hates the doctor's office" routine again or get it done today. Of course, I opted to just get it done now while we're here--one less co-pay too! Long story short, I had to hold Kieran down for 4 shots, he's screaming at us to stop, I'm holding back tears and now Kiptyn is crying too because his brother is upset. Wow!

I try to console him on the way out to the car by telling him we're going out to eat, he can have a kid's meal with a toy etc. On our way to eat, Kieran says, "But you said I didn't have to get a shot!" Ugg--a stab right to the mama's heart! I start apologizing all over the place. He forgives me. Kids are so gracious!

I didn't even make him eat 1/2 his meal before I let him have the cure all cotton candy flavored sucker from the doctor's office. The incident has been forgotten, until he sees the bandaids on his legs, I'm sure. I'm not even touching those!!

Next step, our first visit to a pediatric dentist. Oh, I can't wait for that....

2 comments:

  1. Oh Cheryl it's all because you love him so so much. I can feel your pain and heart racing, in fact my heart started to race as I was reading. Evan is going to have his shots next well-check. It takes an extra nurse to help me hold Evan down. It is amazing how quick to forgive our kiddos are! God made them that way for a reason, parenting is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Just got back from Nathan's whole appointment which was the same ordeal. It was probably MUCH better that you didn't know the shots were coming so you didn't have to worry and neither did he until they happened. I told Nathan the nurse was going to put something on his legs and I think he was a bit surprised at the pokes! It was kind of sweetly funny, though how he "nursed" his legs as he walked out of the office, like they were broken! Well, now we can check that dreaded visit off of our lists anyway!

    ReplyDelete