Tuesday, October 12, 2010

First Conference, Second Surgery

Parent Teacher Conference
I had my first parent teacher conference today with Kieran's preschool teacher. I hope every conference I endure goes as well as this one did! Kieran is right where he needs to be developmentally. It will be fun to see how far he has come by the end of the school year! Of course, there are some things we can practice at home such as knowing our colors (that brown is a tricky one!), properly holding a pencil and practicing using scissors. Kieran loves preschool and I am very pleased with his teachers and his preschool experience so far!

Sinus Doctor--Again!
If you recall, I had sinus surgery back in May and if I was blog literate I would look that post up and put a blue link right here so that you could just click on it and be reminded of this journey. But, that option doesn't seem to work for me when I try it, so I'll give you a quick reminder.

The sinus doctor removed a "turbinate" from my nose on the left and right side back in May. They were "huge" as he put in the report and the surgery was a breeze as well as the recovery. I was out shopping the very next day---can't ask for a better recovery than that right?! Everything seemed to be going good and them BAM--stuffiness, drainage, headaches, congestion--you allergy sufferers know what I'm talking about! The polyps in my nose had gone crazy and were inflamed and causing all sorts of problems.

Begin steroids and antibiotics to try and reduce the swelling and infection again. This went on for 3 months and finally the sinus doctor referred me to a different sinus doctor--and enter Dr. Leight on the scene. After seeing him the first time, trying more antibiotics and nasal medicines, he tells me today that I do need surgery again. So, now I'm going in for more sinus surgery to remove the "crud" in my sinuses--the CT Scan they did today did not look pretty!! I'll also be seeing an allergy doctor and also a doctor that specializes in the immune system to see if I have an underlying problem fighting off infection in my body. Wow!

Ironically enough, the doctor told me that 50% of Crohn's Disease patients have sinus problems. So, we'll see what happens from here on out. Hopefully we'll get some answers and keep my sinuses from getting out of control again. Your prayers would be much appreciated during this long and sometimes frustrating journey!

P.S. At the time of this writing, the surgery date has not been scheduled--most likely it will happen within the next 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment